Tuesday, January 8, 2013

An Intro

I grew up when blogging first came about in the world of the internets. I swore I would never be part of it. Alas here I am. I found that while working on Lookin' at It that I really enjoyed doing the research and posting interesting facts on our Facebook page. I am a firm believer that the more you know the more you care and the more you care the more you want to do. Well plants need our help. Our ever growing population coupled with short sighted land use ethics have landed too many plant species on the path to extinction. Plants are the foundation of most food chains, the exceptions being deep sea thermal vent communities that rely on chemosynthesis for an energy source. Plants are what take our closed-system planet and open it up by utilizing solar radiation along with CO2, water, and some trace nutrients to generate sugars. The byproducts of this process as many of you know, are water and oxygen; two chemicals we rely on quite heavily. So, long story short, I am starting this blog in order to share with the world why I fell in love with plants and why you should too... okay, maybe not fall in love but at least gain some awareness as to why plants are so important. If we are more conscious of their survival, we will benefit in the long run as well. The focus of this blog will mainly be plants of the Northeastern United States (where I live and play) but there will be tidbits thrown in from all over the world as I am also an avid gardener. I hope you decide to check back from time to time. I will try to make each post as understandable and coherent as possible. Thanks and be well!

-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment